Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Whistle Stop Grill and Bar - Safety Harbor, FL






Through various singers that I know, I heard the Whistle Stop Grill has live music on different nights, which is always a bonus to me. After checking out their website, we headed over on a Tuesday night to hear the Tampa Bay Fingerstyle Guitar Guild play some music. Upon arrival, we found ample free parking spots in the street to park. The small parking lot was already full, which I always feel is a good sign. The front of the restaurant faces Main Street and you can walk up to the take out window and perhaps order some ice cream. We headed around back because all of the seating is outdoors. Part of the space is covered, so if it rains you are somewhat protected from the elements. Further umbrella topped tables stretch out onto the grounds. We were quickly given a table where we could see the live music.

A server promptly took our drink orders and then we looked over the menu. For appetizers, we started with the corn fritters that came with dipping sauce. The corn fritters were delicious and I loved the sweet taste of the corn inside of the fritters along with the lightly spicy dipping sauce. For our entrees, my husband and I both went for the Fried Green Tomato Sandwiches. We had heard that the fried green tomatoes were quite the thing there, so we knew before coming that was what we wanted. I was a little disappointed that for the sides, they were out of the sweet potato fries because that was the one other item that we heard was a must try and we didn't get to try them. Predictably, my son ordered the cheeseburger with provolone cheese. The Fried Green Tomato sandwiches were served on ciabatta bread with provolone cheese and aioli. The sandwiches were a real treat and I loved every bite of them. My son's burger was good, but the fried green tomato sandwiches were a winner for me. Overall, we loved the feel of the place, and it was nice to listen to the guitar music while eating. This was a fun place and great for the whole family.

Whistle Stop Grill and Bar
915 Main Street
Safety Harbor, FL 34695
727-726-1956

Whistle Stop Grill on Urbanspoon

No comments: